Saoirse Party Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Saoirse Party Forum

eIreland, Youth and Activity

2 posters

Interesting facts -- for the lottery

Pilib Mac Alastar
    Pilib Mac Alastar

Interesting facts -- for the lottery Empty Interesting facts -- for the lottery

Post  Pilib Mac Alastar Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:11 am

I'm starting to go insane now, but when I had it all together, I did things most people only dream of. In 1987-88, I played in a Christian rock band in Virginia Beach, Va. (USA) and performed in front of thousands of tourists. One night -- I think it was July 12, 1988 -- we were at the oceanfront and I looked out beyond our stage lights, and all I could see in the one-block open park was heads. It was incredible. There must have been 1200 people there. Talk about a rush. I'm still trying to get the perfect band together even though I'm 45 now.

Then I went into the newspaper business. There I met some famous people (like McLean Stevenson of M*A*S*H* (Col. Blake) and Eileen Fulton of As the World Turns, an American soap opera). I flew in a hot air balloon and did aerobatics over my town in a World War II-era Stearman biplane (the Hammerhead was the BEST!).

During that time, I also got the chance to follow my first love -- and the reason I majored in mass communication (along with Classical Greek) in the first place -- doing high-school American football on the radio. One year, I was the color commentator, but when the play-by-play man left to work for the county school system, I became play-by-play until the station was sold. That was so much fun.

After I left the newspaper business, I went into sports scouting for colleges; my main sport was baseball. I met Yankee legend Whitey Ford at a Thanksgiving dinner (he sat across the table from me!) in a friend and client's home in 2004, and I've corresponded with coaches at some of the biggest schools in the country. Every kid I represented ended up in college somewhere. Many didn't finish, at least in sport, but at least I helped to get them there; the rest was up to them.

Now, as my life enters twilight -- as Americans have the lowest life expectancy in the developed world, about 74 years -- I work a boring job at a motorcycle parts warehouse and lead a very dull life. I wish I could get back out and play soccer football and hockey again, and maybe one day I will.
    biffo3000

Interesting facts -- for the lottery Empty Re: Interesting facts -- for the lottery

Post  biffo3000 Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:14 am

i put that into the interesting facts thread in the intro section Very Happy
    Pilib Mac Alastar
    Pilib Mac Alastar

Interesting facts -- for the lottery Empty Re: Interesting facts -- for the lottery

Post  Pilib Mac Alastar Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:06 am

Oh...I was confused. I've had a bit of beoir tonight, as is custom after my work...

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content